Monday, September 28, 2009

memories







There's something to be said for holding onto memories of our childhoods....
On my trip to Chicago, to attend Pappy's burial, I realized that I have the most wonderful memories of being there.
Uncle Mike read Pappy's uleaogy at All Saints Cemetary, where we were only 8 years earlier, buring Nonny. He spoke of Pappy's long happy life and it made me think about all the times with Nonny and Pappy that I cherish and will never forget. Times like when we were kids and Nonny would bake brownies and hide pennies inside or like when we would walk the golf course searching for lost balls. I can still hear the fuzzy radio in their kitchen set to old jazz, and the smell of Nonny cooking on that brown stove that Pappy made a back for. It feels like yesterday and now here we are, with a family of our own. Nonny would have loved seeing Linden and I am sure that their house in Genoa would have been filled with laughter again, like it once was.
And with Thatcher in my arms as we put Pappy in the ground, next to Nonny, I realized that this is the way it's sopposed to be; the circle of life. And all I can hope for is to hold onto the memories of Nonny and Pappy in order to share them with Linden and Thatcher, for many generations to come.

No comments: